The first building, the Chapel, was completed in January 1955 and the second unit, for office space and church school, was dedicated before the end of the year. Ground-breaking ceremonies for the new Sanctuary were held in 1957, and it was completed in the fall of 1958. During the summer of that year, Henry Jacobs carved the three-foot Celtic cross from solid cherry that became the focal point of the new Sanctuary. In 1969, the fourth unit (Fellowship Hall and class rooms), linking the other structures, was completed.
Concord has had 7 installed pastors:
- Henry Jacobs—1952 to Dec. 31, 1961
- Gilbert Van Bever—Sept. 23, 1962 to Dec. 31, 1976
- (Andrew) Thomas Murphy—Oct. 23, 1977 to July 20, 1986
- Donald Purkey—Sept. 18, 1988 to April 30, 1991
- Neta Pringle—Nov. 22, 1992 to Sept. 15, 2002
- Francis (Fritz) Ackerman—Nov. 28, 2004 to Sept. 30, 2012
- Lynn Horan—Nov. 16, 2014 to June 25, 2017
Interim pastors have served between pastorates beginning with the transitional period following Tom Murphy. Concord also had Assistant or Associate Pastors from 1957 until 2002. Concord is currently in the process of actively seeking an interim pastor [August 2017].
Concord’s entire history has been one of vital witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ. We witness:
- through joyful worship, including the gift of high quality music
- by our care to each other
- by our commitment to serve our community and our world through numerous mission and outreach initiatives
- by seeking to learn more about our faith and God revealed in the Scriptures through study and prayer
- by providing a nurturing environment and activities for our children and youth, including the establishment of a kindergarten in 1956 that has evolved into Concord Preschool and Childcare.
In 2013, the congregation completed a new Mission Study in preparation for the search for a new Pastor. The study articulates a vision for the future, including efforts in the areas of spirituality, evangelism, social justice, and local community service. Our congregation is engaged in making these transformations real, and with God’s help, the new energy that is evident at Concord will ensure its continuation as a vital and growing witness to the Kingdom of God.