Ministries: Missions: Community
We strive to be a visible expression of Christ’s love, a beacon of shining light in dark places. We are passionate about outreach and social justice. We want to better understand the needs of our local community and address them as we are able. Some of the ways in which we do that are:
- Friendship House: Concord members provide monthly funding for those in need through our Deacon’s Fund, clothing and food, monthly dinners at a women’s house for women returning to the community from prison and breakfast several times a year at the shelter.
- Emanuel Dining room: We provide dinner to about 320 people a month at two different sites.
- Hanover Food Closet: Food Gleanings are collected each week with the offering and transferred to Hanover Presbyterian Church for distribution to those in need.
- Seaman’s Center: Gifts for the Seamen at Christmas, and this year, hoping to do some other services throughout the year that they need.
- Sunday Service: A time to take our love for each other out into the community. On Sunday, Oct 21, we will gather in Fellowship Hall and then go out to several places in the community that need our help. Others will stay in Fellowship Hall and put together a variety of projects for people in need.
- Blessing Bags: Bags for the homeless with a long list of supplies are provided to church members to take to hand out whenever they run into someone in need.
- Prayer Shawls: A dedicated group of knitters keeps the pastor supplied with prayer shawls to hand out to people needing extra care. Members are also encouraged to take them to friends who are hurting.
- Fleece for Keeps: Children, youth and adults work on fleece blankets to be provided to children going into Foster Care.
- Share the Spirit: An annual Christmas project between the church and preschool provides gifts to people in need in our local community.
- Preschool scholarships: we award scholarships to our own Preschool and Childcare program based on need. Donations to the Preschool Scholarship Fund are always welcome
- College Scholarships (CPSP): We grant scholarships to local students attending undergraduate programs with the intent to address some of the needs that major scholarships do not address. Donations to the CPSP fund are always welcome.
If you would like to participate in any of these activities, or you wish to bring a community need to our attention, please contact the Pastor.